Imperative sentence-

Imperative Sentence: A sentence that gives advice or instructions or that expresses a request. From the Latin, "command."

example: "Try running."

September 29, 2009

one-hundred thirty-eighth, one-hundred thirty-ninth (Long Run #9 fitness test

5 miles in 40:00

20 miles (2 mile warm up, 16 in 1:49:47, 2 mile cool down)

It wasn't the pace I set out to run, but I was happy with it.
Here is a little more detail:

I slept well the night before. 6.5 hours wasn't great, but there were no interruptions. I had pancakes that night. I drank plenty of water throughout the day. Walked a decent amount at work. Ate rice and steak for lunch. It was sunny and kind of warm. Cool breeze. I ran a total of 18.5 laps around the "1 mile in circumference" lake by the apartment, so 20 miles total including the trip to and from the lake.
Summery: Average conditions.

I had hoped to average 6:40/mile, but the average ended up being about 6:51.7/mile.
Not sure what to do with this data, but I have it, and I have a little more confidence that I can sustain a good pace for the marathon. Most likely, I will begin the race somewhere just below 7min/mile and increase the speed slowly until one of two things happens: 1) the race is over, and 26.2 miles arrives, or 2) The race isn't over, and I start slowing back down.

Again, I took note of the fact that I am not overly out of breath after the longer runs, but I slow down because the repeated pounding on the legs becomes pretty painful and makes it very hard to maintain the pace. Pain in my ankles and tendons around the ankles and knees. I suppose that that just gets better as you run more and more and more and longer and longer. I'll find out. I am pretty nervous and anxious to find out how the marathon will unfold, and specifically how long I can make it before some of this fatigue sets in. During this fitness test, I ran further without significant pain than I have before. I made it through about 12 or 13 miles before it became really tough. We'll see.

So that's pretty much it. The taper begins soon. Like I said before, i have that 10 mile work out sometime at the end of this week/beginning of next week, and that will be a pretty tough run, but for the most part, I have made it through the major part of marathon training. 7 months of consistent running (starting march 1st) and it's time to rest, stay in shape and buy new shoes.


1 comment:

  1. Grats! Quite the achievement. I look forward to your taper madness induced raving rant posts.

    ReplyDelete