Imperative sentence-

Imperative Sentence: A sentence that gives advice or instructions or that expresses a request. From the Latin, "command."

example: "Try running."

April 07, 2009

fourteenth

5 miles. 4 in 31:40ish. plus 1 in 6:30.

My first "progression run" went well, even though I didn't feel completely rested. I made the transition from starting my week on monday to starting it on Sunday (since pretty much every calendar starts with Sunday as the first day. Frustrating considering we call it the weekEND. I'm definitely not the first to be annoyed, but whatever the case) and I had to pack my miles for last week into monday through saturday. I got them all in, but I felt sluggish today. A little overdressed by the time the run ended and it warmed up.

Hudson teaches to incorporate goal marathon pace in small increments early on in your marathon training, and that's what I tried to do today. 
I have a LONG way to go before I will come even remotely close to running 6:30 miles for a marathon, but well, I am shooting high. I might not come close for a couple years and if that is the case, I better adjust my "marathon pace" pretty quick.

This whole workout/typing about it kind of highlights one of the more bothersome parts about marathon training: setting a goal time and/or predicting your pace.

Most runners have experienced at one time or another the very sad ending to a race where the beginning was run too fast. I don't want that to happen, so here is my plan to avoid it:

1. Set an ambitious goal pace and train to run it.
2. Modify that goal pace as necessary to ensure that it reflects my training progress
3.Start the marathon around 15-20 seconds per mile slower than the final goal. This should be a pace that I successfully ran in long progression runs towards the end of the training cycle, and one that I feel confident I can maintain for 26miles.
4. Negative split the race.

I don't want to run really well for 23 miles only to have the race and time ruined during the last 3 miles run at 2 or 3 min/mile slower. So yes. I will be cautious and conservative.

No comments:

Post a Comment